Save $$$ – Become a Guild Member and get the EDC + other member benefits!
Educational design at it’s core is community-oriented and community-inspired. It is not something that is done to children, but rather an opportunity to invite our children into a reciprocal relationship that honors both the authentic individual as well as their role within their families and communities – including not just people, but Nature and all our relations.
Note: The highly recommended prerequisite for the EDC includes either having taken the What’s Home course, Institute of Permaculture Education for Children (IPEC) Teacher Training Course or a Permaculture Design Course (PDC).
(Contact us to inquire about workshops or keynote speaking events outside of the DC Metro Area).
In the online, self-paced Educational Design Course, we explore the following seven themes of design:
- Working With Nature – Explore and understand our ourselves and our children as both learners and educators playfully as connected to our place, time, and passions.
- Reading Your (Learning) Landscape – Meet children where they are relevant to their place, family, and community and then interact with them based on their path in learning and life.
- Transforming Problems into
SolutionsOpportunities- Holistically integrate children’s passions into other subjects, topics, skills, and community resources and relationships.
- Potential of Small Choices, Great Effects – Help our children, even our young children self-regulate and plan how to structure their learning and life.
- Consciousness of Choice – Designing education from patterns down to details that help with creation, documentation and assessment of the educational plans.
- How the Yield is Limited Only by the Creativity of the Designer – Put everything together to facilitate the journey from knowledge- and skills-based explorer to active “do-er” who can apply learning through personally meaningful projects.
- Everything Gardens – Our children integrate their new knowledge and skills into the lives of others within their family and community.
The Educational Design Course is not a “program,” but an emerging process that will help your family or educational community honor and use the resources, knowledge and skills inherent in your place to change what it means to learn, educate, and be educated.
For learning community workshops, we work together to personalize the workshop experience and learn the art, science, and wisdom of mentoring our children on their unique journeys in learning and life. You and your core group will receive a one hour video/phone consultation, up to 6 hours of personalized training (in-person or online training all on one day or spread out over several weeks/months in two hour minimum increments) and access to supplemental resources online to continue the learning as a community between the training sessions.
Together we will:
- Develop the consciousness, knowledge, skills, and connections for whole systems educational design
- Meaningfully, authentically and playfully integrate the voices of children, families, communities and nature into the learning landscape
- Utilize children’s passions and niches of brilliance to design personalized educational plans, units, classes and programs
- Explore the buffet of educational ideas, knowledge, skills, concepts and (most important) processes necessary for understanding the fundamentals of Educational Design
- Integrate local and culturally relevant resources for community-oriented education
- Use a variety of assessment and documentation methods that extend the traditional paradigm of what it means to learn, develop and succeed
- Change the story of education to one that inspires children to take positive, personally meaningful action in their lives, communities and the world
In the emergent design process natural relationships are honored as much as resources, knowledge, and skills. Education is our greatest resource for transforming the future. It can help our children explore and embody the values, characteristics, and mindset needed to make the currently unimaginable reality.
Change the story of what it means to learn, educate and be educated.